by Peyton Lee Jones, Ph.D.
Bungalow courts are characterized by their unique design - two parallel rows of five or six cottages, facing inward, separated by a wide, hexagon-brick path or communal “court”. They recall an earlier era of housing shortages, when episodic influxes of seasonal and permanent residents strained the available housing stock, and property owners and builders got creative with their spaces. It recalls a time when people valued affordable, multi-family dwellings that promoted neighborliness and community in a proto-suburban setting.
The 'Burg's bungalow courts are threatened by a downtown beset with new development (click here to read about how PTB helped to save a bungalow on Moffett Court). The remaining courts, seemingly tucked away and commonly only recognized by the lucky few, carry note-worthy stories like Lang Court and Al Lang and Rhoda Court and Rhoda Vogel.
Home builders in Pasadena, California, inspired by a variety of residential architectural styles and neighborhood designs, from the Spanish patio villas to the vacation cabin in the woods, pioneered the “bungalow court” in 1909. The style gained popularity with buyers and renters who could not afford a detached single-family home (or, as in St. Pete, winter guests who didn’t want the upkeep). The central court, whether a garden or patio or pathway, promoted a sense of community and shared responsibility while maintaining the spirit of American individualism. Click here to learn more about the history of Pasadena's bungalow courts.
In St. Petersburg, the bungalows of Lang and Rhoda Courts are more than old buildings that tell a story—they’re iconic features of the city’s built-environment, and, combined with the city’s natural endowment, are an essential part of the city’s sense of place.
Lang Court residents, along with Preserve the 'Burg, secured local historic district designation for their bungalow court in 2014 (click here to read the landmark application). Today, Lang Court, fronting 4th Ave. N. just east of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. St., still retains the feel of bygone St. Petersburg.
On the southside of downtown, the bungalows within Rhoda Court lack a landmark designation. Preserve the 'Burg is exploring ways to help ensure Rhoda Court, fronting 6th St. and just south of 3rd Ave. S., will also be preserved. When you walk through the court it evokes feelings: nostalgia for an earlier time, but also a sense of place in the here and now—the there, there, as when somewhere says show me St. Petersburg, you can point and say there.
Some Fun Facts About Baseball in the 'Burg
Information compiled by PTB volunteer, Lou Kneeshaw
Spring Training History
St. Petersburg had a pivotal role in introducing spring training to Major League baseball. The movement to have a team here was launched in the summer of 1913. A local group calling itself the St. Petersburg Major League and Amusement Company with a capitalization of $50,000 signed a spring training contract with the St. Louis Browns to begin playing in St. Petersburg in 1914. A site for the baseball park at the head of Coffee Pot Bayou was leased from Snell & Hamlett for three years. The Browns arrived on February 16, 1914, and on February 27 the first spring training baseball game between two major league teams was played in St. Petersburg. Today, there are 15 of the 30 Major League teams that hold their spring training in Florida, known as the Grapefruit League. The remaining 15 teams hold their spring training in Arizona, known as the Cactus League.
Coffee Pot Park
The original name of the spring training field in St. Petersburg was Coffee Pot Park (Also known as Sunshine Park). The park was named for nearby Coffee Pot Bayou. In the early years, a General Admission ticket was $.25 and a Grandstand ticket was $.50. There is some debate about where exactly the park was located, but it was probably First Street North and 22nd Ave.
The First Spring Training Game
About 4,000 fans attended the first game between the St. Louis Browns and the Chicago Cubs on February 27, 1914. The Cubs won 3 to 2 and spring training baseball was born! The Cubs traveled to St. Petersburg by boat across the bay from their spring home in Tampa. It was the first and only year the Browns trained in St. Petersburg. The receipts during the first season amounted to approximately $10,500 while the expenses totaled $11,500. Through the efforts of Al Lang, the Philadelphia Phillies were brought to St. Petersburg for spring training in 1915. The Phillies had such a good spring training that when they traveled north for the regular season, the Phillies won 14 of their first 15 games and eventually won the National League pennant and went on to play in the World Series.
Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and the Flori-de-Leon
TheNew York Yankees first came to St. Petersburg to establish their spring training home in 1925 and played at Waterfront Park. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig were extremely popular as the Yankees won 11 pennants between 1921 -1939, which spanned the playing careers of both players. “The city was seized by ‘Ruthamania,” wrote Will Michaels in The Making of St. Petersburg. Ruth and Gehrig spent spring training living in penthouse units of the Flori-de-Leon apartment building located on 4th Ave N. As the team's star player, Ruth enjoyed bay views from the apartment's Spanish-style rooftop terrace and relaxed evenings beside a fireplace bracketed by carved wood pillars. Interestingly, Babe Ruth’s apartment sold in 2009 to the daughter and son-in-law of Ruth’s maid.
Kids and Kubs - The Three Quarter Century Softball Club
Founded in 1930, the St. Petersburg Kids and Kubs Softball Club limits its membership to players of 75 years of age and older. The Kids and Kubs divide their members into four teams and play each other at North Shore Field on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Saturdays beginning at 10:00 AM. The regular season runs from November 1st to April 1st. In the picture above, the upright portion supporting the bench seat contains four sealed containers of documents, pictures and electronic data in the form of a time-capsule. The monument was placed during the 75th year of the club’s existence (2005) and it is expected that the capsule will be opened at a ceremony in the year 2030 during the 100th anniversary of the club. https://kidsandkubs.webs.com
The Don CeSar Hotel
During World War II, St. Petersburg served as a basic training center. Hotels and cafeterias were taken over by the US military. In 1942, the U.S. Army purchased the Don CeSar hotel to be used as a hospital, then a convalescent center for airmen returning from their WWII tour. A stomach ailment sidelined Joe DiMaggio and in September 1945, he was transferred to the Army Air Forces’ Don CeSar Convalescent Hospital in St Petersburg, suffering from stomach ulcers. Nine years later, DiMaggio returned to the Don CeSar for his honeymoon with Marilyn Monroe. At the end of WWII, the site was recommissioned, serving as a Veterans Administration Headquarters - and gradually fell into disrepair - until it was vacated by the U.S. government in 1969. In 1971, with the threat of the wrecking ball looming, a group of concerned citizens led by June Hurley-Young formed the "Save the Don" Committee, vowing to help forge a path to restoration for the once-grand hotel. Thanks to the Committee, the Don CeSar reopened in 1973 as a full-service resort and in 1974 the Don CeSar was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Al Lang Stadium
A 1955 movie starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson was filmed at Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg. The movie was Strategic Air Command. Jimmy Stewart portrayed a third baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals who is recalled for active duty after serving as a B-29 bomber pilot in World War II. Hundreds of local St. Pete residents filled the stands at Al Lang Field as extras for a scene in which Stewart's character was playing third base when a B-29 flew over. Interesting facts: In real life, Jimmy Stewart was a colonel in the US Air Force Reserve, a higher rank than his movie character (Lieutenant Colonel) and during WWII Stewart earned a Distinguished Service Cross for 20 flights in combat. The last spring training baseball game played at Al Lang Stadium was on March 28, 2008.
Drs. Ralph Wimbish and Robert Swain - Desegregation of Spring Training Housing
Prior to 1961, Drs. Ralph Wimbish and Robert Swain would secure housing for non-white baseball players during spring training in St. Petersburg. But in January 1961, St. Petersburg became a focal point in the battle to end discrimination in the lodging of African American players. Jackie Robinson broke the Major League’s color barrier in 1947 but African-American players experienced segregation in the south, particularly in housing of training sites throughout Florida. African-American players would stay in homes rather than in hotels with the white players. Doctors Ralph Wimbish and Robert Swain were civil rights leaders who believed that the time had come for all hotels in St. Petersburg and in Florida to desegregate, urging team owners to provide their support in order to stop the ongoing housing discrimination against their teams' African-American players. By 1964, all major league teams in Florida had desegregated their living arrangements. Dr. Swain is pictured above left, and Dr. Wimbish, above right.
The original name of Tropicana Field, commonly known as the Trop, was the Florida Suncoast Dome, a $110 million multi-purpose facility constructed by the Bay Plaza Companies. The stadium was named in May 1987 based on a “Name-the-stadium” contest and opened March 3, 1990. It was built to attract a Major League baseball team. Initially, St. Petersburg attempted to lure the Chicago White Sox to the city in the event that Chicago would not build the White Sox a new stadium. Tropicana obtained the naming rights to the domed stadium in 1996. The Tampa Bay Rays’ first season was in 1998 and their first regular season game took place on March 31, 1998, when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (later renamed the Rays) faced the Detroit Tigers, losing 11-6. The most recognizable exterior feature of Tropicana Field is the slanted roof. It was designed at an angle to reduce the interior volume in order to reduce cooling costs, and to better protect the stadium from hurricanes. The first World Series game at Tropicana Field was played on October 22, 2008 between the Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies. The Phillies won the first game 3-2 and went on to win the series four games to one.
St. Petersburg Museum of History
The museum was founded in 1920 as the St. Petersburg Memorial Historical Society. The
city of St. Petersburg granted the organization use of an old aquarium building in 1922 where it is still located at 335 Second Avenue North East. The museum is the oldest in Pinellas County and has a significant collection of over 4,800 autographed baseballs. Dennis Schrader donated his baseball collection to the museum. He started collecting when he was a 9-year old in 1956, at St. Pete’s Al Lang Field, where the Yankees were playing a spring training game. Autographs include Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jackie Robinson, Cy Young, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. http://www.stpetemuseumofhistory.org
In 1908 real estate agent Noel Mitchell placed a couple of benches in front of his office on Central Avenue on which customers could relax after making the long trek to the corner of 4th Street. The benches became popular, so other businesses soon followed suit, and in 1917 a city ordinance mandated that all the benches be painted the same shade of hunter green. They quickly became a symbol of hospitality throughout the nation - splashed on postcards and magazines that promoted the good life in the Sunshine City.
But that hospitality only went so far.
As white residents enjoyed relaxing and socializing on St. Petersburg’s famous green benches, the city’s black population labored under the suffocating restrictions of the Jim Crow south. In St. Petersburg, Jim Crow laws were carefully fashioned to solve a peculiar dilemma – how do you exploit black labor to support your growing tourist community, while simultaneously excluding them from society as an inferior race? The solution, as historian Raymond Arsenault elegantly writes “was a comprehensive system of Jim Crow laws superimposed on a sanctified code of racial etiquette. Under the Jim Crow regime, blacks were only admitted to the white world at prescribed times for prescribed reasons.”
These admittances did not extend to the city’s famous green benches, a national symbol of hospitality for whites, but a glaring symbol of the inequity of the Sunshine City: as an accepted custom, blacks were not to sit on the green benches unless they were caring for white children. Nor could blacks enjoy the recreational opportunities offered at the city’s celebrated Pier, where blacks were not welcomed unless they were working.
Even the city’s swimming area’s were strictly segregated. For years, while whites enjoyed swimming off the Railroad Pier (where Demens Landing is today), blacks were banished from this refreshing respite. Only later, when the focus of recreation moved to the municipal pier, and the area around the railroad pier had become a veritable dump of industrial waste, were blacks allowed to swim at the area, which became known as the South Mole. Even this proved unseemly to many whites, who argued that blacks swimming at the waterfront could damage the city’s image to tourists.
In 1955 black citizens, led by Dr. Fred Alsup, sued for desegregation of Spa Beach at the foot of the Million Dollar Pier. Rather than concede to integrated swimming facilities, the city opted instead to close Spa Beach altogether. Not until 1959 was the pool and beach at the foot of the Pier opened on a truly integrated basis. The green benches were never similarly liberated, having been removed by the city in the late sixties in an effort to make the city appear more youthful.
The green benches represent much more than meets the eye, and it is important that we recognize and share all of the stories these benches can tell.
To read more on some of the topics mentioned here:
Desegregation of Spa Beach
Stay Out, The Water’s Fine: Desegregating Municipal Swimming egating Municipal Swimming Facilities In St. Petersburg, Florida Darryl Paulson University of South Florida https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1101&context=tampabayhistory
The role of women in St. Petersburg's history has often been overshadowed by the men that they worked alongside. But from the very beginning of the Sunshine City, when Sarah Williams played a role in persuading Peter Demens to bring the Orange Belt Railroad to what is today downtown St. Petersburg, instead of what is now modern-day Gulfport, the story of St. Petersburg has been driven in large part by women. Below are just a few of the names you should know.
C. Bette Wimbish
C. Bette Wimbish was one of the leading African American woman activists in Florida promoting the desegregation of schools and civil equality. She graduated from Booker T. Washington High School in Tampa, Florida, and soon applied for school at the University of Pennsylvania. However, Wimbish was turned down as a result of her race. Discouraged but determined, Wimbish began working towards a degree at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes, which is now known as Florida A&M. She was the first African American on the St. Petersburg City Council. As well as being the first African American to hold a modern elected office in the Tampa Bay area, Wimbish was also the first African American female lawyer in Pinellas County, Florida.
Flora Wylie spent her lifetime making St. Pete a more beautiful city. Flora was the first woman to serve on St. Petersburg’s Planning Board in 1928 and was a founding member of the St. Petersburg Garden Club. Flora had a love of exotic plants and shrubs. Flora and her husband Walter built a home with lush tropical gardens at 1400 Beach Drive in Old Northeast in 1922. It was a replica of an Italian villa they had seen when they visited Milan. She remained a huge proponent of the city parklands until her passing in 1965. In May 1962, Waterfront Park No. 3 was renamed Flora Wylie Park. Flora Wylie Park begins where Coffee Pot Bayou curves into North Shore Drive and extends from 18th to 13th Ave S.
Katherine Bell Tippetts
Privately educated, fluent in five languages, and a published author, Katherine Tippetts arrived in St. Petersburg with her husband and four children in 1902. But it was her path after her husband’s death in 1909 where she made her contribution. Historian Ray Arsenault once described Katherine Tippetts as “the most remarkable woman in St. Pete.” After her husband’s death, she took over the operations of the downtown Belmont Hotel and the couple’s other real estate holdings.
As a savvy businesswoman with extensive experience in public affairs, she also was the first woman to run for the Florida Legislature. Tippetts placed second in that race, but the loss didn’t stop her. Instead, she continued working tirelessly to protect what was special about St. Petersburg, and Florida as a whole. She accomplished this through leadership roles in groups ranging from the Woman’s Town Improvement Association and the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs to the YWCA and American Forestry Association.
Tippetts’ most enduring legacy is the St. Petersburg Audubon Society (SPAS). She founded and directly presided over the organization for 31 years, helping to lead the movement to preserve and protect the environment. Concerned about the impact of growth on natural resources, she fought to legislate protections for wildlife and plants in Florida and beyond, from pelicans, robins, and the pied-billed grebe to a swath of the Everglades. Locally, this lobby produced more than ten bird sanctuaries by 1920 in Pinellas County alone. The Audubon Society also was instrumental in the 1912 establishment of the Florida Fish & Game Commission and passage of the Migratory Bird Act of 1913.
Jennie Hall was a public school teacher and moved to St. Petersburg in 1922 from Butte, Montana. St. Petersburg was a fully segregated city as were the majority of southern cities. Swimming pools were considered as popular and all-American as movies, but African Americans, particularly in the south, were largely excluded from using public swimming areas.
In 1953, as an 85-year old retiree, Hall met with the City Council and wrote a $10,000 check after having become frustrated at the city's lack of progress in building a "Negro" pool. With an additional $15,000 from Ms. Hall for a total donation of $25,000, a big share of her life savings, this instigated a $35,000 matching appropriation by the City. The pool was dedicated in the Spring of 1954. Ms. Hall passed away just one year later, on April 3, 1955. Jennie Hall Pool remained segregated until 1959 when the city opened its public pools and beaches to people of all races.
Jennie Hall Pool was the city's only African American pool in St. Petersburg. Ms. Hall also gave $450 towards the college education of an 18-year-old African American girl who wrote a three-page letter thanking her for the swimming pool donation. Another contribution to the development of the African American community was a $500 check to an African American Woman’s club which enabled renovation of their club building. For these contributions, Ms. Hall received a citation for outstanding community service. In 2012, city leaders designated the Jennie Hall Pool as a historic landmark. The pool is located at 1025 26th St S in St. Petersburg.
Dr. Johnnie Ruth Clarke
Dr. Johnnie Ruth Clarke was an American activist, teacher, and humanitarian.She was a participating member of many different societies and has been credited as the first African-American to obtain a doctorate from the University of Florida's College of Education.
Johnnie Ruth Clarke obtained her bachelor's degree from Florida A&M University in Social Science and then went on to receive a master's degree from Fisk University.In 1966, Clarke became the first African American to obtain a doctorate from any Florida public university and in particular the University of Florida College of Education. Clarke taught in the Pinellas County Public School System, as well as at Bethune-Cookman College and Florida A&M University. Dr. Clarke served as dean of Gibbs Junior College in the 1950s, and as assistant dean of academic affairs at St. Petersburg Junior College in the 1960s. To honor her commitment to students and the community, St. Petersburg College established an academic scholarship in her name. Also, the Johnnie Ruth Clarke Health Center was named after her.
Margaret Acheson Stuart
Margaret Acheson Stuart was raised in New York City but the family established winter residence in St. Petersburg and she eventually settled in the area.
Margaret proposed the Museum of Fine Arts to the city of St. Petersburg in 1961. She contributed $150,000 for a building and $1 million for an endowment fund. In early 1970, Mrs. Stuart donated $300,000 for a new auditorium and sculpture garden. The City of St. Petersburg donated the land. By the mid-1980s a second floor was added to accommodate its growing art collection. The renovations and addition were finished in 1989. On February 23, 2008, a $21 million addition - the Hazel Hough Wing - had its grand opening. Today the museum's collection includes works by Monet, Cezanne, Vigee-LeBrun, Tiffany, Rodin, Gauguin, Steuben, and Renoir. Stuart refused to place her name on the museum or charge admission, insisting she wanted all people to be able to enjoy the cultural resource. Said Stuart during the planning phase of the museum: "If one child has a better life because he visited our museum, it will be worthwhile."
Fannye Ayer Ponder
Coming to the Sunshine City from her native Ocala with her husband in 1925, Fannye Ponder was an educator, organizer and a social and civic leader in St. Pete for more than 40 years. A graduate of Florida A&M, Ponder taught at Gibbs High School for 20 years, organized the St. Petersburg Metropolitan Section of the NCNW (National Council of Negro Women) as well as the City Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs. She worked as a Republican committeewoman and helped build two community buildings in the black community: the Council House that bears her name and the Melrose Clubhouse. Ponder directed her limitless energy toward the advancement of women on the local, state and national levels, working alongside such prominent activists as Dr. Bethune and First Lady of the United States Eleanor Roosevelt. In 1972, in recognition of her accomplishments for more than 40 years of service to her community and the nation, then St. Pete Mayor Herman Goldner declared a day in June of that year as Fannye Ayer Ponder Day. She passed away on May 31, 1982, but her legacy still lives.
Ponder’s legacy is that of someone who worked for women’s rights, believed in equality and worked to change the lives of those less fortunate. She was politically astute, a patriotic and servant leader, once selling thousands of U.S. Savings Bonds during World War II, totaling $85,000 in one single night in Miami. It was Ponder who founded the local NCNW chapter in 1942 — properly called the St. Petersburg Metropolitan Section — to develop "competent and courageous leadership" among African-American women. During World War II, she sold thousands of dollars in war bonds to help build a U.S. Merchant Marine Liberty ship, the SS Harriet Tubman, the first to honor an African-American woman. She and her mentor, Mary McLeod Bethune, founder of the NCNW and what would become Bethune-Cookman University, had tea at the White House with three first ladies, Eleanor Roosevelt, Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower. In St. Petersburg, Ponder was the force behind the prime site for political, educational, social and cultural gatherings for African-Americans at a time when racial segregation barred them from public facilities, such as beaches, libraries and swimming pools.
Mary Wheeler Eaton
As owner of one of the city’s largest citrus groves, Mary Wheeler Eaton was well established in St. Pete’s business community, but her passion for the Sunshine City has helped celebrate our city’s history for generations. In 1920, Eaton and a number of pioneer families created the St. Petersburg Memorial Historical Society to preserve the young city’s history. Eventually Eaton convinced the Mayor and City Council to give the historical society a vacant building on the Pier Approach and the St. Petersburg Museum of History was born. The oldest museum in Pinellas County, the St. Petersburg Museum of History was formerly known as the St. Petersburg Memorial Historical Society when it first opened its doors to the adoring public in 1921. The Society started collecting the different artifacts, archival documents, photographs, and specimens of natural history that depicted the movement of the region towards 20th century development and progress. It was through the unrelenting effort and steely determination of Mary Wheeler Eaton and her contemporaries that the Society was able to amass considerable historical wealth that has become the foundation of the present-day Museum. In 1930, after Mary Eaton’s death, The Memorial Historical Society opened what would become the first incarnation of the St. Petersburg Museum of History.
Rosalie Peck was the youngest of 10 children. Raised in St. Petersburg, she attended local all-black schools - Jordan Elementary and Gibbs High School. After being turned away from a local business school because of her race she traveled to Washington, D.C., to attend Cortez Peters Business College. Fifteen years after graduating from Gibbs High School, Rosalie was chosen by the Ambassador Club, along with Frankie Howard to promote integration by attending the all-white St. Petersburg Junior College (today’s St. Petersburg College) in 1961. Years later, Peck recalled both the anxiety and fear she felt, but knew after her first day of classes that she was, as she said, “in my element.” Her confidence eventually led her to Bethune-Cookman College and then to Atlanta University for her master’s degree followed by a successful social work career. Peck co-authored the excellent book, St. Petersburg’s Historic 22nd Street South, along with Jon Wilson.
Shirley Fry Irvin
You can place Shirley Fry’s name alongside Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Doris Hart, Billie Jean King, Martina Navaratilova, and Serena Williams. Fry is one of only 10 female players in history to win at least one of each of the majors in singles. Along with Court, Hart, Navratilova, and Serena and Venus Williams, Fry is one of only six players in history to also win a women’s doubles title at each major tournament.
From 1951 to 1957 she won singles championships in Australia, Paris, London, and New York, and won another 13 major championships in both doubles and mixed doubles. She was a singles finalist on four occasions and a doubles and mixed doubles finalist eleven more times. Fry was ranked in the world Top 10 nine times (1946-1956), including the No. 1 position in 1956. She was among America’s Top 10 players 13 straight years, 1944-1956. Off the major tournament circuit, Fry was the Italian Nationals doubles champion in 1951 and a mixed doubles finalist that same year. Fry played for the United States in Wightman Cup in 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1956, compiling a 10-2 career record. She is the champion of the 1951 French Open, 1956 Wimbledon, 1956 US Open, and the1957 Australian Open.
Fry is just one of 15 people to have won the career Grand Slam. Fry won 17 major championships including the French Open, Australian Open and Wimbleton in 1956. Upon her retirement, Fry moved to St. Petersburg, ostensibly to bask in warmer climates. She worked in the advertising department of the St. Petersburg Times.
Who did we miss? We know there are lots of influential women we didn't cover. Is there someone in particular you'd like us to feature? Let us know! Write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As Preserve the ‘Burg works to save the unusual Shell Dash Cottage, let’s take a look back at some of the more prominent landmarks St. Petersburg has lost over the years, starting with the building whose demolition gave rise to the organization now known as Preserve the ‘Burg:
American Bank and Trust
The American Bank and Trust opened on September 13, 1913. Located at 340 Central Avenue (where today’s BB&T building now stands) it featured a Grecian granite facade and stately columns. So many customers came through the immense bronze doors on opening day that the bank ran out of deposit slips and the clerks had to write on sheets of sandpaper! The first floor had 40,500 feet of space, more than any other bank in South Florida at that time. The woodwork was quarter sawed oak with a greenish gray tinge and the floor was covered with white and colored tile. In 1977, the newly formed St. Petersburg Historic Preservation Group (later named St. Petersburg Preservation and now, Preserve the ‘Burg) unsuccessfully attempted to block the demolition of the building. A small portion of the historic structure remains intact: two of the front columns were saved and are now part of the Veterans Memorial in Williams Park, pictured below.
The Soreno opened on New Year’s Day, 1924. This 300 room waterfront hotel was designed in a subdued Mediterranean Revival style by Atlanta architect G. L. Preacher. Billed as the city’s first million dollar hotel, the Soreno Hotel later became a symbol of the burgeoning historic preservation movement in St. Petersburg. Its demolition, on January 25, 1992, as part of the planned Bay Plaza redevelopment of downtown, was followed just six months later by the successful reopening of the renovated Vinoy Hotel. These two events painted the city’s choices in stark relief: preserve those places that make St. Petersburg special, or let them be destroyed for the tenuous promise of growth. The reopening of the Vinoy Hotel proved to be a turning point for downtown; ushering in a period of renaissance and rebirth that we are still enjoying today. The demolition of the Soreno Hotel was filmed for use in the movie Lethal Weapon III, but was ultimately only shown in the credits. You can watch a Youtube video of that sad day here. And read a detailed history of how the Vinoy was saved from demolition in the Old Northeast Journal, here.
Located on 2nd Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue N the mission-style Garden Cafeteria, also known as the Piano Exchange building, was built in 1923 and was originally used as The First Baptist Tabernacle. In the 1930s the church became an auto garage and then in 1934 morphed into a tropical-style cafeteria. Known for the stunning tropical murals painted by WPA artist George Snow Hill, the cafeteria was last used in the late 1970s. Later, it became the Piano Exchange. It was demolished in 2012 for a parking lot for the Sundial shopping complex across the street.
The Florida Theater opened in September 1926 with twenty-three hundred seats, nine dressing rooms, a rooftop garden, and towering interior walls covered with the suits of Spanish armor, tapestries, and other works of pseudo-Renaissance elegance. Located on 5th Street at 1st Avenue South, The Florida Theater was a masterpiece of 1920’s style garishness. “The King”, Elvis Presley, performed there on August 7, 1956.The next day’s edition of the St. Petersburg Times described his performance: “He hit St. Petersburg with the effect of a small H-bomb.”
During the Florida Theater’s demolition in 1968, two workers were nearly killed when an 80-foot crane crashed to the ground. "Downtown St. Petersburg has been the scene of a symbolic battle -- the Florida Theatre vs. the great metal fist of the Cuyohaga Wrecking Co.," the Times wrote. The theater was so solid “the wrecker lost many attempts to remove it, because it was so well built and in such fine condition," a city report noted. The site became a parking lot.
Built by E. H. Lewis in 1917 to look like a Southern plantation house, the Colonial was one of the city’s earliest steel-frame buildings. Built in 1921 with 40 rooms, by 1948 it had expanded to 64 rooms. During WWII, following in the footsteps of most hotels across the state, the hotel was leased to the Army for a Basic Training Center. It was demolished in 2006 to make way for the Ovation condominiums located at 180 Beach Drive NE.
This five-story hotel was built in the late 1890’s by C.S. Hunt and was located at 226 4th Ave N. Known for its graceful tropical gardens and colorful murals by local artist Mark Dixon Dodd, the hotel later became an antique mall with as many as 45 antique dealers. At one time it was leased by the Pinellas School Board and housed the Women’s Job Corp. It closed in 1995 and was demolished two years later to make way for 27 townhouses.
This monumental theater opened on March 8, 1913 with a seating capacity of 1,800 in a town of only 6,000 residents. Located at the corner of Fifth Street and Central Avenue, the huge Mediterranean Revival style structure was reputed to have the largest stage south of Atlanta. For many years it was the tallest building in St. Petersburg. Built by George S. Gandy (of bridge fame) it was known as Gandy’s White Elephant because it was thought that the large theater would lose money. Gandy was one of Philadelphia’s leading building contractors before moving to St. Petersburg in 1903. In 1913 the structure cost more than $150,000 to build. It offered stage shows featuring major performers such as Tom Mix, Sophie Tucker and Anna Pavlova. It was demolished between 1955-1957 to make way for downtown parking.
Originally named the National Bank of St. Petersburg, this was the third bank organized in the city. A lot was purchased on the southwest corner of Central Avenue and 4th Street and an office was constructed that opened on July 1, 1905. In 1910, the name was changed to Central National Bank. Over the years, many banks with different names would move in and out of the building. In 2016, Preserve the 'Burg unsuccessfully fought the demolition of the Central National Bank and the Pheil Hotel next door. The now empty lot is slated to hold the city's tallest building, construction on which is anticipated to begin in 2020.
This towering eleven-story, 108 room structure was built by Abram Pheil, St. Petersburg mayor in 1912 and 1913. Pheil accompanied pilot Tony Jannus as the first commercial airline passenger on the famous 1914 Benoist flight from St. Petersburg to Tampa. At the time it was built, the Pheil Hotel was the tallest building in the city and featured an ornate ground floor theater with an unusual feature: patrons entered the theater from the front, walking underneath the movie screen (because theater fires often started in the projection room, the owners felt like this was a safer design!) The hotel was conceived in 1916 to serve the increasing tourism demand, however the 1917 to 1918 federal construction moratorium caused by World War I hampered its construction. Abram Pheil died in November 1922, more than a year before his long awaited building was finished.This hotel had its grand opening on Halloween, October 31, 1924.
Although the Pheil Hotel had been altered over time (most notably by the addition of an aluminum facade added in the 1960s, which earned it the nickname of the Cheese Grater), it still retained significant exterior architectural integrity and was clearly readable as an historic structure. City Council council unanimously voted to deny Preserve the ‘Burg’s application for local historic landmark designation, paving the way for the demolition of both the Pheil Hotel and the neighboring Central National Bank in 2016.
The Floronton was located at First Avenue N and 2nd Street, roughly where the new Hyatt Place hotel is located now. It was built in 1910 by Mary Purnell to serve a growing tourist trade. St. Petersburg’s first all-masonry hotel, during WWII it was used by the US Army Air Corp. Following the war, the hotel was sold and renamed the Toffenetti Hotel in the mid 1950’s (Darlo Toffenetti purchased the hotel in 1955 from Mrs. Florence Robinson) By 1973, the hotel was once again sold. For the next twelve years it was called the Tropicana Hotel. In 1986, after major renovations and the removal of the porch and entryway columns, it was converted into office spaces and used by the Bay Plaza Corporation as its headquarters during their planned redevelopment of downtown. Every other building on the block was demolished by the Bay Plaza Corporation, but the Floronton remained as a holdout until its recent demolition to make way for the One Condominium tower.
In 1925, pharmacist James Earl "Doc" Webb, bought a small drug store in Saint Petersburg, renaming it "Webb's Cut Rate Drug Store” in the face of the looming economic depression. Webb’s philosophy of "Stack it high and sell it cheap" helped him thrive as other businesses around him failed in the Great Depression. The “World’s Most Unusual Drugstore” eventually expanded to more than seventy stores that spanned seven blocks. From 2nd Avenue South down to 4th Avenue South, his empire covered the area between 7th to 10th Street. A forerunner to the shopping center, Webb’s City included a floral shop, a bakery, a grocery store, a meat market, a beauty salon, a travel agency, a hardware store, a gift shop, clothing emporiums, several coffee shops and soda fountains, a cafeteria, and a drugstore. At its peak, Webb employed a staff of more than 1,200 to serve an average 60,000 customers a day.
Not one to rest on low prices alone, Doc mastered the promotional gimmick. He shot the Flying Zacchinis out of a cannon in the parking lot, sold dollar bills for ninety-five cents (a limited time offer), and exhibited mermaids, chimp acts, and baseball playing ducks. And you could watch it all while enjoying a breakfast for just two cents! Perhaps his most enduring contribution was the The Express Check-Out Line (10 Items or Less), which Doc’s son Jim claims he invented.
As St. Pete entered a period of decline in the 1970s, the company went bankrupt by 1979 and "The World's Most Unusual Drug Store" closed its doors for good. It was fully demolished by 1984. A small shopping center called Webb’s Plaza is the only hint of the behemoth that once occupied the space near today’s Tropicana Field.
Thanks to PTB Member and Volunteer Lou Kneeshaw for his diligent research on the 11 We Lost.
Preserve the 'Burg is funded in large part by the support of our members. So join today—be part of the effort to Preserve the 'Burg!
Already a member, login below: